Thursday 1 January 2015

You Had Me At Hello Book Review

You Had Me At Hello by Mhairi McFarlane

I have A LOT to say about this book. I could go on forever but if I did, I'd end up spoiling things so I shall keep this concise. If you do want to see my spoiler filled review, you can go to my goodreads review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1116749224?book_show_action=false

This book follows a woman called Rachel, she is a news reporter based in the court system. She reports about different court cases in Manchester, England. Rachel bumps in to an old university friend called Ben who she has not seen for ten years and she starts to remember what happened. The one that got away has come back. 

The book is quite slow to start with and you don't really get a feel for the characters until later on but it is worth the journey. In the first half of this novel, a lot of elements are just being established. Rachel has bumped in to Ben and is over the moon to see him, except he is married and Rachel is not. 

In the second half of this novel, wow! It feels like a soap opera! There is so much drama contained within the second half of this novel. It is incredibly emotional and very frustrating. I found myself animatedly shouting at the characters in this book. 

I also found the fact that this book was set around an area which I frequent regularly to be all the more enjoyable. I recognised places mentioned. It was a helping in hand in the use of imagery for I personally. 

I had a few qualms about this novel but as this is a non spoiler review, I cannot state the specifics. However, I also adored this book and would recommend it to anybody who loves a good romance. Overall, I gave this story 4 out of 5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment