Wednesday 31 December 2014

Why I think some people are not fans of Romance Novels and Films.

One Day, Bridget Jones, I don't know how she does it. These are just some chick flicks (some are film adaptations of books). 

There seems to be quite a big stigma surrounding romance films and books. Here is my take on it.

I love romance films and novels. I am a sucker for a good chick flick or love story. Books and films are a form of escapism which is why most books/films have a happy ending because you want to escape real life not read all about it. That is what people have to remember, you may not know it but when you go to watch a film or read a book, you are escaping from your own life. 

However, not all stories and films end with a happy ending, there are some very upsetting endings (*coughs* One Day, I am still recovering). There is a quote from Stephen Fry which annoyingly, I cannot trace. He says in other words that fiction tends to have/need some truth in it. I agree with what he says in that fiction does need aspects of truth in it for ease of relating to characters and situations.

I wish that this prejudice towards romance novels would dissipate but I don't think it's going to be that simple. 

Romance novels are more than often considered 'cliché' which is quite odd to me personally. I find it odd because it's romance, people fall in love, it happens, how are you going to make that any different. Granted, different things tend to happen and people fall in love in different ways but we are only human at the end of the day. We are humans, we are not some omniscient beings, we are human. Love does not always go how we want it. 

I have come to a realisation that people use the term 'cliché' to describe most romance films/novels because we want to escape, to have a change from 'real' love. As humans, we like to dream, at least I do. People dream of falling in love in a revolutionary way but love is love and it's not going to change. Love comes in a different form, shape and size to each individual but it can only be what it is. 

This is generally my take on the whole situation but maybe if people really thought about why they don't like romance films/novels, they might discover something. The light bulb might switch on. 

Romance novels/films are moving and awkward like real life is. We tend to speak the words 'Oh I wish it was like the films' a lot but it is. Most of the time, films paint an 80% accurate picture of human love. As humans, we don't want to admit this, we like to be different and unpredictable. We also like everything we see, hear, watch and read to be unpredictable but there are only so many things you can do. 


4 comments:

  1. I was actually thinking about this the other day so it was really good to get another person's perspective of romance in films/novels and i totally agree with everything you put :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Shy, it was beginning to become too big of a thought for my brain so it needed to be written down :)

      Delete